Click here to complete a contestant application.
Statement of Purpose
A Positive Image
The ideal of the Mr. Leather Bear Contest is to promote a positive image of the Leather Bear lifestyle. It is our belief that the Leather/Bear communities are comprised of an extremely diverse group of people. The Mr. Leather Bear Contest seeks to make all people feel good about themselves regardless of race, religion, political beliefs, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, size, handicap, or health condition. It is the goal of the Mr. Leather Bear Contest to make all those who wish to be a part of the Leather Bear communities feel welcome in doing so.
Note from the Producers
We would like to take this moment to praise you for competing for our prestigious title. I would also like to take a moment and have you reflect on the duties and responsibilities that you will be contracting yourself to when you compete. Failure on your part to comply with the Mr. Leather Bear Code of Conduct, including the minimum number of fundraisers, will cause us to take the necessary corrective action to maintain the dignity and integrity of our title. We wish you the best of luck.
Mr. Leather Bear
Titleholder Code of Conduct
- I will be a role model and representative, as well as a visible member of the Leather, Bear and Gay communities.
- I will act with dignity and be respectful, presenting and carrying myself in a manner that is not disrespectful to the Leather, Bear or Gay Communities, or to the producers of Mr. Leather Bear.
- I will conduct myself in an honorable and trustworthy manner, which includes not participating in gossip or deceitfulness.
- I will conduct myself in a responsible manner any time I am representing the Title or organization, and I shall be accountable for my actions at public and private events. This includes not consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, not using drugs, and no verbal, written or physical abuse of others.
- I will maintain regular communication with the producers during my Title year.
During their title year, the titleholder will conduct themselves in proper protocol and dress at any time that they are representing the title. Flagrant violation of this code of conduct may result in the removal of the title. If the producers remove a title, the offender will surrender all Mr. Leather Bear materials, to include but not limited to: medallion, sashes, and trophies.
Mr. Leather Bear Contest
All contestants for the Mr. Leather Bear Contest must meet the following requirements upon submitting their application:
- Each contestant must be at least 21 years of age.
- Contestants will be required to sign the code of conduct and the photographic release, and provide photocopies of a government issued photo identification of themselves with their entry form.
- Each contestant must create and execute one mini fundraiser during either the Meet and Greet or the actual contest (you/yourself do not have to be doing this but must arrange others to help you). The funds raised will be allocated to the winner’s travel fund. Be creative because this will be seen by the judges as to what you can do in the future to help promote the leather bear community.
- Each contestant must agree to appear onstage wearing appropriate leather bear/fetish This can include rubber and neoprene, but leather is preferred.
- Each contestant agrees to hold blameless Leather Bear Productions, weekend volunteer personnel and/or state sponsors for injuries, economic loss, or any liability, and to pay all court costs in any litigation that may arise from any legal action taken by the contestant against the aforementioned.
Notice: FRATERNIZATION WITH JUDGES, TALLY AND STAFF
Contestants shall be prohibited from having private meetings, or engaging in sexual activity or leather scene play with the judges, tally person(s) and/or staff prior to the announcement of the results. Any behavior that might create even the appearance of bias will be brought to the attention of the head judge, who will decide if the disqualification of the judge and/or contestant is warranted. To avoid accidental violation of this policy, all contestants, judges, and tally persons should display their identification badges at all contest events.
- Individual interviews (0 – 100 possible points maximum per judge) Starting at 5pm Saturday, each contestant will meet privately with the panel of judges to be asked questions about lifestyle, interests, community involvement, and availability to represent the community. You will be scored for intelligence, attitude, personality, and your ability to communicate. This also applies to aptitude as a spokesperson for the community. The Interview will last approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Leather Bear Image – Introductions: (0 – 100 Points per Judge) Each contestant will be introduced and will walk the stage in cruising attire or apparel of his choice. This sets the tone for the image you wish to present as Mr. Leather Bear. All contestants will return to the stage after the introductions. Contestants are required to accurately fill out a data sheet on themselves so the MC can read parts to the audience.
- Question – (0 – 100 points per judge) Each contestant will be introduced and handed the microphone to speak to the audience for no more than 90 seconds. This is where contestants will answer a lighthearted question give to you by one of the judges. Time will be given for a quick change if desired.
- Physique – (0 – 100 points per judge) Each contestant will be individually introduced wearing as little as is allowed by law, or as he chooses. He must move about the stage to display, to the judges, his physique. The contestant may use props to exhibit any sexual kink or fetish.
- Who are you? – (0 – 100 points per judge) Each contestant will be given 90 seconds on stage to express themselves. Do you want to speak to a personal stance in the community, make a pitch for why you’d like to represent the Leather Bear community in your respective city, or perform a talent (no pyrotechnics or water please)? That’s your call. Show the judges and audience who you are. Make them smile, make them take notice you, make them laugh, and make them fall in love with you!
In the event of a tie, for non-Olympic scoring, the interview score will determine the winner. If there is still a tie, the judges will be asked to vote for one winner based on those tied. The one with the most votes will win. There will only be one vote per judge. With Olympic scoring, to break the tie the following method will be employed: the high scores that were previously discarded for the tied contestants will be added and the contestant with the most points will win. If a tie remains, the low scores will be added. If a Tie still remains, the scores for the interview from all judges will be added and the contestant with the most points will win.
Fundraisers For Titleholders’ Travel Fund
Contestants competing in Mr. Leather Bear contest are required to hold a mini fundraiser that reflects themselves and their interests in the Leather Bear and/or fetish communities. The fundraisers will be held both Friday and Saturday nights of the contest. The fundraiser is not a judged category. However, your Stage Presence and Fetish Image during the fundraiser will be. Many businesses, clubs and organizations will be willing to donate items to help you with your fundraiser in exchange for the visibility that they will gain when you read off their donations on stage.
Money raised during the Mr. Leather Bear Contest fundraisers will be used for a titleholder travel fund. The funds are to be used to help offset the cost of representing the title. The fund covers airfares, lodging, transportation, and food up to the amount available. Expenses and fees for events held in one’s hometown are not eligible for reimbursement. Receipts must be submitted before reimbursement can be made. All expense requests need prior approval.